Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!


My son Denny and his family live about 5 doors down the street. Last week Denny called me to go down and make sure everything was OK. A disaster nearly happened but was averted - thankfully.--

Last winter Denny was getting to know his newly purchased house and one thing that was giving them problems were the heaters. Most didn't work so they had to use space heaters.
--

Hunter is becoming a big boy and has graduated to a toddler bed instead of a crib and so, at nap time, when he's not real tired will get up and play. Sometimes they find him sleeping in the closet. This day he was exploring. He climbed on his toy box and turned the thermostat for his heater, played a while more and went to sleep.
--

In spite of their opinion that the heater in Hunter's room didn't work, it came on. Because they were under the impression that it didn't work they arranged the room with his bed directly in front of the heater. When the heater decided to work it began to scorch the finish on the crib. The room began to fill with smoke with Hunter sleeping in it.
--

Fortunately, Rach's ex, Tony, was fixing some of the electrical problems in the house and installed smoke detectors according to code - one in each bedroom and one just outside each bedroom door. Heather was in the other end of the house and heard the smoke alarm in Hunter's room going off. So she was able to get him out and he was safe. This is when Denny called and asked me to go down and double check that things were OK.
--

I checked to see if the breaker was off for that heater, thought it was and proceeded to set up fans to remove the smoke. Turns out it wasn't the correct breaker but now that everyone was aware that the heater did indeed work, they made the necessary changes so the baby couldn't turn it on again.--

Thanks so much, Tony, for putting all those smoke alarms up. The tragedy that could have happened would have been great and it would have been a complete accident.
--

So be sure you have those smoke alarms working, like it or not.--

2 cats hacked up hairballs:

Rick Williams October 13, 2009 at 3:58 AM  

Yup, it would have been awful to lose that special little boy.

Anonymous October 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM  

So, was the heater a Cadet? Cadets are the worst of the worst and they have burned many houses down. Tony is a saint!

Melinda

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.