Lens Envy

I just thought I'd brag a little about the gift Rick got "me" for our anniversary (I say it's ours, he says it's mine). It's a super wide angle lens. My normal lens that I use for day-to-day stuff, otherwise known as my "walk-around" lens in photographer's lingo is a 28-135mm lens. For our cameras 1 to 1, or as the eye sees is about a 50mm lens. Anything with a smaller number is closer than 1 to 1. Lenses that bring the distant objects closer are zoom lenses and have bigger numbers. So my 28-135 is slightly wide angle and zooms in a nice amount too. But I've seen shots with the really wide, or "ultra wide" lenses that completely warp a picture and make for some really interesting stuff. Nothing can be done in Photoshop to mimic this, you just have to have the right lens.

So here is a little comparison of my walk-around 28-135mm lens and the same shot taken with my, er, OUR new 10-20mm lens, both set at the shortest focal length possible (28mm and 10mm)


28mm on the left                                                      10mm on the right

Thanks, Dear, for my - OUR new lens!

2 cats hacked up hairballs:

Rick Williams July 12, 2011 at 4:06 AM  

You're very welcome. I'm glad you're having fun with it!

Shirley July 13, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

I know NOTHING about photography... I am on the other end of the camera! LOL But, I love the difference between the two photos... crazy what a lens can do!!!

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.