Our Ocean Weekend 2012

As a family, for some strange reason, my kids and I enjoy renting a big house and all living under one roof for a weekend every year, usually in some exotic place like Ocean Shores or Leavenworth. This hasn't occurred for a couple years but this weekend it did - in Ocean City, just north of Ocean Shores. 

The house we ended up renting is an old, converted, 2 story store, which worked perfect for this mob. It now has 6 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms and a huge open living space downstairs. It's tastefully decorated in vintage garage-sale furnishings and addressed nearly every need. 

We arrived different times Friday, Rach, Tony and Hunter got there midday but had to endure downpours and fog on the trip. Rick, Keith and I arrived around 7ish but had to endure traffic. Then the rest (Kev's whole family and the newlyweds) arrived about 9:30.

So this house went from nearly dead silent to WILD CHAOS! when the 2 boys got out of the long car ride and joined their cousin and all ran around this big house, enjoying their freedom! 

Saturday was our big day for fun and, while the weather was forecast to be cool and showery, it was quite a bit nicer once the morning past.Originally the plan was to make this our "Family Day" weekend where we would be doing a gift exchange (to some degree), that fell through once Denny and Heather informed us they could not join us. But we still wanted to do something for the boys, I had bought them kites and this is the place where you use them. So Shirley came up with a brainstorm and we made a collection of identical, cheap toys (mostly), put them in boxes and buried them on the beach, then made up a map and had the boys collect pirate garb before they got to the actual "buried treasure"! Joe was designated Captain (since he can read) and it was quite entertaining to watch the hunt unfold. 

After allowing the boys some time to play with their new stuff the gang decided to go check out the go-carts in Ocean Shores. We finally found some in town and everyone took 2 spins, one on the regular track, then one on the "slick" track where the cars were faster, the track was smoother and they sprayed water on it so drivers could drift around the corners. I was the only one not driving so I got to take lots of pictures! 

After going home and snacking for lunch we went to the beach to fly some kites and the boys ended up wading in the water. The weather had improved so much that it was possible to enjoy at least getting your feet wet (our beaches and water are always COLD!)We went home, had dinner, the kids played with silly string (which I bought them so I instituted the silly string fight and they ended up chasing after ME!) and bubbles, then we headed back to the beach, which was now considerably colder than it had been a mere 3 hours earlier, for a special family photo. 

As a school project for Joe we did a big JUMP picture 2 years ago and needed an update. I thought one that would be mostly just our silhouettes in front of the sunset would be cool. I ended up adding a special filter to the picture and then Chelsea made a comment that Tony looked like he should be holding an umbrella and voila! a new family photo! We rounded out the day with a friendly (ha!) men vs women game of pictionary while the kids went upstairs to watch a movie and fell asleep. So WE were the loud ones (women beat the men, as though you didn't already figure that out).

The last day, Sunday, was eating, cleaning, vacating, then a quick check at the shops right at the beach entrance in Ocean Shores.  Dane and Chelsea wanted some more pictures of themselves to put in some picture frames they got as wedding gifts so we did a short trip to the beach one last time to get a few shots.  The weather again was very nice and the beach was swamped!  Unbelievably it was about 1:30 when the short picture session was done and we headed home.  

If we go back in another couple years I think it's safe to say we'll be staying in "the Summerhome" again!

1 cats hacked up hairballs:

Maggie June 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM  

Wow, sounds like a blast. They will remember these weekends all their lives. Good pictures

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.