Correction . . .

So I mentioned that I'd had 3 heart attacks. I was equating chest pain with mild heart attack.  In reality the chest pain was angina. I had 1 heart attack and LOTS of angina. Here's an explanation of 3 types of angina from WebMD.com:

  • Stable angina. The pain is predictable and present only during exertion or extreme emotional distress, and it disappears with rest.
  • Unstable angina. This may signal an impending heart attack. Unstable angina is angina pain that is different from your regular angina pain or pain that occurs while at rest. The angina may occur more frequently, more easily at rest, feel more severe, last longer, or come on with minimal activity. Although this type of angina can often be relieved with medication, it is unstable and may progress to a heart attack. Usually more intense medical treatment or a procedure is required.
  • Prinzmetal's angina. This is when angina occurs at rest, when sleeping, or when exposed to cold temperatures. In these cases, the symptoms are caused by decreased blood flow to the heart muscle from a spasm of the coronary artery. The majority of people with this type of angina also have coronary artery disease. These spasms occur close to the blockage.

What I had was either unstable or Prinzmetal's and has not occurred since. So the pain I had was not a heart attack and the heart attack I had had no chest pain. Imagine my confusion! I'll be learning more next week when I go in for my first cardiologist appointment . . . 

2 cats hacked up hairballs:

Rach May 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM  

Good to know! Glad you're getting it all checked out. :-)

Maggie May 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM  

So glad you cleared that up. Now what did you say? Heart attack? No heart attack?

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.