The Sun Has One Less Tree to Care For



I have to write this blog to be able to move on.  I need closure.  For a lost tree.
Alone with myself
The trees bend to caress me
The shade hugs my heart
~ Candy Polgar ~





This feels silly.  How could I become so attached to a tree as to mourn its passing?  I've spoken to some about my feelings and I'm not alone.  I feel like I've lost a pet.  I always marvel at our relationships with our pets - how, in spite of their inability to speak, we still have conversations with our pets.  It's in their body language and their rudimentary vocalizations.  I felt my tree was a part of the family just as a pet is.  I had a connection with that tree.

I willingly confess to so great a partiality for trees
as tempts me to respect a man in exact proportion
to his respect for them.
~ James Russell Lowell ~


Part of my feelings stem from the way it became part of our lives.  It was planted as a very young tree that needed care and attention as any youth does.  It needed training as any youth does.  It needed food and water as any youth does.  But unlike people, when it became a teen is when it began to shine.


Trees are poems that earth writes upon the sky,
We fell them down and turn them into paper,
That we may record our emptiness.
~ Kahlil Gibran ~

Eventually it grew into a beautiful mature adult that was a comfort to our family.  It provided shade in the summer, its purpose from its beginning.  It became the centerpiece of the yard.  It would become ablaze in the fall and the neighbors would take notice.  Cowbirds would perform their melodious mating rituals in its branches:  

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
~ Joyce Kilmer, 1914 ~

When I walk past its stump now I can't help but feel something missing.  Something that used to apparently give me a feeling of security and companionship.  


I miss my tree...

3 cats hacked up hairballs:

Anonymous January 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM  

You're making me CRY!! But pic #4 says it all...it was just a stick when we planted it. I think that's Denny in the background, prolly 7 or 8 years old!

You need a NEW tree...a BIG one!!

luv, rach

Maggie January 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM  

Love those pictures! I saved them all. Yes, it seems like you can go on now and the next one will make you feel even better. At least you know what you like.

Judy February 7, 2012 at 6:58 PM  

Beautiful.
*hugs

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.