Ku'uipo...

...is Hawaiian for sweetheart. That would be these two, Bryan and Rebecca.

I got to attend my first Hawaiian wedding, or rather, the reception, last Saturday. It was quite refreshing.

It was, as far as I know, 100% witnesses and was in a beautiful setting, one of the many botanical gardens here on Kauai, Na Aina Kai. Everyone was nicely dressed and polite. The kids were well behaved. Although they did serve beer and wine there was no bad behavior or drunkenness. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. I'm sure the young couple were extremely pleased with the way things had turned out.

I enjoyed the total Hawaiianness of the whole thing, the decorations were gorgeous and the food was perfect. They had pupus ready almost immediately. So we all nibbled until the very native meal was ready. We had all the dishes I recall from my youth. All that I loved and those I didn't! At least I already knew what to enjoy and what to avoid!

I'm going to let the pictures tell most of this story.


The decorations were made with ferns, orchids, heleconia and gingers.

A father and two of his offspring were our live entertainment.





Pupus included fried wonton, kalamari, edamame, sushi and salted local fish.



Dinner was massive. What I had (my favs) included poi and lomi salmon, kalua pork, plain old salad, rice and that thing wrapped in a ti leaf, lau lau. Unwrap it and you'll find that blob. It's pork and/or fish salted, then wrapped in spinach leaves, then cooked in the ti leaves. Yum!

Everyone looked so nice and look at how good these potential juvenile delinquents are behaving! The party carried on til after dark (which is only about 7:30) but us old folks called it a night early. Good party!

2 cats hacked up hairballs:

Shirley August 9, 2014 at 12:15 AM  

Oh what a fun experience and great way to socialize with your new family of brothers and sisters!

Maggie August 11, 2014 at 12:52 AM  

It's ok I guess........No I'm just kidding. It was just beautiful.
Maggie

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.