The Big Kiting Accident

What?!?! A KITING accident? How can you get hurt flying kites?

Seriously, as it turned out, I should have been wearing a helmet out on that beach. Someone even called an ambulance for me!

So.. This guy was flying this quad-string stunt kite by us, buzzing us with extra strings unused and flailing about. I googled quad-string kite and they're what's used to pull someone sitting in a go-cart type vehicle down the beach. It's referred to as a "power kite".

No, he didn't snag anyone in the strings. It was actually my fault. The old "good Samaritan" gets injured helping his fellow man.

His kite crashed, the lines got twisted and the easiest way to fix this is to have someone hold onto your kite while you untwist, then they can help launch it again once it's straightened out.

So I held onto his kite, he walked out to where the handles lay on the sand, untangling as he went. He put the straps on his wrists and I held up his kite to take off. Just as it began to rise I felt something on the back of my ankle. Oh, one of those unused strings was wrapped behind my foot, I'll just lift and untangl.....

That thing lifted violently while I was standing on one foot. It pulled me off my remaining foot and dropped me on my tailbone, then my head bounced on the concrete-like sand.

But my camera was safe.

I lay there for a minute very still with my eyes shut. The guy with the kite may have seen me fall. The kids thought I was taking another strange angle shot. It took a minute for everyone to figure out that I was hurt. It didn't knock the wind out of me but rang my bell real good.

I finally started to talk and open my eyes, I thought maybe my head was bleeding, it hurt so bad. But it was just a big jarring, bruising accident. Immediately my ears, jaw, face, butt, and back o' my head hurt. The next day my wrist and shoulder hurt, then my stomach muscles and the tendons in my neck, I musta tensed up before I hit my head, trying to not hit so hard.

Today I'm pretty good, the only thing is the first and last few inches when I raise myself from a sitting or crouching position.

So, the next time you go kite flying DON'T FORGET YOUR HELMET!!!

3 cats hacked up hairballs:

Maggie June 11, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

Suzie - Are you still alive? You had a concussion!! - Ma

Melinda June 11, 2010 at 6:00 PM  

Holy crap!! Also, take a concussion seriously, which you no doubt have. Hang in there girlfriend, and take it easy - I care!

Judy June 14, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Good grief! Glad you're ok!

About Me

My photo
After 2 unsuccessful marriages I spent 12 years as a divorcee, only to fall prey to another man's wiles. We had a fun 5 years together and then he decided he wanted more freedom so once again I'm single.

So I'm freshly divorced at 57 and have 5 great kids and now 7 grandkids. My kids are still a major part of my life but I'm busy helping my aging parents on Kauai.

I've lived in California, Hawaii and Oklahoma before finally settling here in Washington. I love Washington and come back to visit family, friends and take care of my garden often but will be temporarily a resident of Kauai.

I've moved 30 times in my life (no, my parents weren't in the service, at least not since I was about 2) and finally planted roots when I got my little house that I've owned since '91.

My family are Jehovah's Witnesses, I've been one since '72.